The building was first registered as an ale house in 1803 by Flints Brewers of Stour street,Canterbury, the City ofCanterburyhad 3 bars and a shop selling local produce. Originally the building had a thatched roof which was later replaced withKentpeg tiles. At the rear of the building, which was originally the kitchen, a large slab was discovered beneath which was a well, behind the building was originally hop gardens.
In 1971 the City of Canterbury closed its doors for the last time as a public house and was converted in to student accommodation servicing the local St Edmunds School.
We reopened the doors to the public, as a guest house, in August 2002 initially operating just 3 rooms. We have now expanded, due to increased demand, refurbishing further rooms to the present level of 8 rooms, all offering en suite or private facilities. Although the original 3 bars have been removed we have retained the original feel and period setting now used for our reception and breakfast area, also a comfortable lounge with views across the city.